About the Course
The University Certificate in Workforce Essentials (UCWE) is one of the first steps to a career with the NSW Police Force. It will provide skills needed in a workplace and help future applicants prepare for the Associate Degree in Policing Practice (ADPP) and a rewarding policing career. The UCWE was developed by the NSW Police Force and students completing the UCWE will be awarded a university certificate, which satisfies the academic prerequisites to lodge a police application with the NSW Police Force.
The NSW Police Force will recognise the learning currency of the UCWE for three years when satisfactorily completed up to 31 December 2018, and for one year when satisfactorily completed after 1 January 2019.
Applicants must be aged 18 years or older, and an Australian citizen or permanent resident, to enrol in this course.
Please note: If your first language is not English you are required to meet CSU English language requirements by doing one of the following:
- Providing evidence of having completed a sufficient standard of study in English; OR
- Obtaining Academic IELTS, within the last 2 years, with a minimum overall score of 6 and no individual score below 5.5; OR
- Obtaining a qualification deemed to be equivalent to Academic IELTS (and it's minimum scores) by CSU
Please note: successful completion of the UCWE does not guarantee recruitment, selection or training as a policing student, or future employment with the NSW Police Force.
Study mode and key dates
The UCWE is offered online and includes a final face-to-face examination.
There are two options to study the UCWE:
- Online over eight weeks (recommended 20 - 25 hours engagement per week) see course notes below
- Face-to-face over five weeks (recommended 30 – 35 hours engagement per week) no courses scheduled for 2019
This course will be offered online over eight weeks and five weeks face-to-face, depending on demand. Face-to-face sessions, if offered, may be run from either Dubbo, Port Macquarie, Sydney or Wagga Wagga. To register your interest in a five-week face-to-face session, send us an email with your contact information.
Please note: the UCWE final face-to-face examination is held at a study centre in Dubbo, Port Macquarie, Sydney or Wagga Wagga. Examination centres available for each session will be dependent on demand. In exceptional circumstances, students unable to attend the planned examination date may be eligible for a second examination date – these situations will be determined on a case-by-case basis only.
Dates for the online offering are:
|SESSION CODE||COMMENCING DATE||EXAMINATION DATE|
COURSE END DATE
|201945GD||6 May 2019||29 June 2019|
|201960GD||1 July 2019||24 August 2019|
|201975GD||26 August 2019||19 October 2019|
|201990GD||21 October 2019||14 December 2019|
Students will require a computer or laptop with the following minimum applications or equivalent to participate in the UCWE:
- Microsoft Office suite or equivalent, capable of producing / reading Word documents, Excel spreadsheets and PowerPoint.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader - latest version
- QuickTime 7 or VLC media player
- Stable internet connectivity